Thursday, August 28, 2008

Getting married? Don;t forget to change the email names too

This is something that guys usually don't think of. But when a female gets married, she usually changes her last name.

Where are names changed?

Obviously, driver's license. How about social security card. SS didn't used to be as important but with the new national security policies in place, driver's license now links to the SS. so you must get the names to match

Public record name changes can be a topic on its own, but I would like to talk about name changes in our work and social environment.

Here, the obvious change is email addresses. If you use MS Exchange, you will need to talk your Exchange Administrator. Seems simple, but the poor fella has to go through quite a few things to get it right. I just went through this for a small company. I thought I'll document this so that I'll know better next time.

The following steps are for 2003SBS.
1. Goto Administor Tools - Active Directory Users and Computers > MyBusiness > Users > SBSUsers and locate the user.
2. Right click user name and rename to new name
3. Right click user name and choose properties - goto General tab > change First Name, Last Name, Display Name as necessary
4. Goto E-mail Addresses tab, add new E-mail address if a new email address is needed. Do not delete the old one yet, otherwise all mail addressed to the old name will be bounced.
5. Goto Account tab, change User logon name if you want to change that too.

Now goto the user's desktop and open Outlook
1. goto Tools > Send/Receive > Downlad Address Book
2. enter new email, click options to make sure User name is new name.
3. reboot.

This is all that I remembered.

1 comment:

8leafclover said...

You are right. When I got married many many moons ago, I only changed my drivers license to my husband's last name. Well, I had to renew my license this past May, went to the DMV, and they blankly said, "You are not allowed to renew your license." I did not have any tickets, so what's the problem. The answer,"I can't tell you, but you cannot renew your license." I could not figure it out at all. I was persistent and finally got it out from them that my SSN name did not match. So after several days, lots of hassel and running around, changed my SSN name and got my licensed on the day it expired.